Nature Calgary is operated entirely by volunteers who generously give of their skills and time. Volunteers have an opportunity to meet others with similar interests for an interesting and rewarding experience. Would you like to participate? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact email@example.com for general inquiries.
Contact Melanie Seneviratne –
or 403-815-1275 to volunteer for the following:
Latest Volunteer Opportunities:
- Membership Committee: Volunteers needed to sit on a Membership Committee to investigate all aspects of current NC membership practices. This would be a short-term commitment. Please reply to Val at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sat Apr 21: Fish Creek PP Spring Star Night, Shannon Terrace. Nature Calgary will once again be participating in Star Night at Fish Creek PP. Participants have the opportunity to utilize telescopes and view other displays and presentations. It is a great way to help promote Nature Calgary! See contact info above.
- Nature Kids Needs You! Nature Kids Calgary, under the guidance of Nature Calgary and Nature Alberta, is now planning activities for spring, summer and fall, 2018. Our goal is to engage children ages 4 to 12 years and their families in outdoor activities that foster observation skills, scientific investigation, environmental stewardship and healthy living. Each month, for two to three hours on a Saturday or Sunday, volunteers plan and facilitate an Explorer Day activity focusing on a nature theme or issue. If you have a passion for nature or are knowledgeable in a specific area, such as geology, botany, tracking etc., and would be willing to share your expertise, please see contact info above.
- International Migratory Bird Day: Help at Nature Calgary’s table at IBS, Sun May 13 11am – 3pm. Lunch is usually provided by IBS. Shifts will be 10:30-1:00 and 1:00-3:30 or the full day. See contact info above.
- The Bird Study Group (BSG) of Nature Calgary is looking for additional advisory group members. The BSG supports and encourages the appreciation and understanding of birds and their habitat. The primary task of the advisory group is to support our objectives by organizing and delivering a series of monthly meetings. The meetings typically feature an invited speaker and allow for interaction and the sharing of ideas and news between members. The advisory group provides general support to the Nature Calgary board on birding issues, and responds to periodic requests for bird identification, and general birding information. All of this requires attendance at two or three meetings a year and some follow up with the meeting speakers. If you would like to join us, please contact Andrew Hart at any Nature Calgary or BSG regular scheduled meeting, or by email.
Board roles: (List of incumbents)
- Chairs monthly meetings, responds to inquiries from media and others.
- Supports President and fills in when President is absent.
- Looks after financial matters and presents a statement each month.
- Takes minutes and sends out notices.
- Takes minutes and sends out notices.
- Program Director
- Organize Monthly Speaker Series.
- Communications Director
- Coordinate newsletter and website.
- Representation Director
- Support members who represent other nature organizations in Calgary.
- Volunteer Director:
- Coordinate, encourage and record volunteers for NC meetings and events, help organize a thank-you event in May.
- Publicity Director:
- Coordinate publicity for meetings and events
- Bird Study:
- Organize monthly Bird Study Group meetings.
- Botany Study:
- Organize monthly Botany Study Meetings. This position is open.
- Directors at large:
- A flexible role that provides support to the Board.
- FAN Representative:
- Liaison between Nature Calgary and Federation of Alberta Naturalists (Nature Alberta). Attends some Edmonton meetings.
Other Volunteer Positions
- Membership Secretary:
- Maintain membership database, process membership applications/renewals.
- Field Trip Co-Coordinator:
- Organize Leaders and field trips each month.
- Field Trip Leader:
- Contacts Trip Coordinator to let him/her know you want to lead a trip.
- Take others to a favourite natural area. Always room for more leaders!
- Bus Trip Coordinator — arranges annual bus trip
- Welcome Table:
- Host table at monthly Speaker Series and/or bird study meeting welcome table (sign up new members, etc.).
- Bird Study Group Chair and committee members:
- Chairs Bird Study Group meetings and finds speakers for the meetings. More members welcome – see above
- Newsletter Co-editors:
- Write and edit newsletter. Computer skills needed.
- Coordinate website maintenance and updates, Mailchimp updates and campaigns, and Facebook updates.
- Chair and organize a committee to organize November Banquet.